In 2017, Charity Commission research showed men outnumbered women trustees on boards by 2 to 1. And most trustees (92%) were white, older and above average income and education.
Closer to home, we know that while roughly 40% of museum Board members are women, they make up less than a third of chairs of major museums. We think it’s time to change that.
Where to look for trustee and chair positions
- Association of Independent Museums (AIM)
- Young Trustees Movement
- UK Government public appointments
- Museums Association job listings (you have to be a member to see these)
Resources for joining boards
Want to join a board but not sure where to start? Check out resources to help you build your CV and understand roles and responsibilities.
- Women on Boards resource centre
- Young Trustees blog
- AIM resources for prospective trustees
- Arts Council Museum Constitutional and Governance Arrangements
- Support for trustees at Share Museums East
- Collections Trust – the essential trustee
Got a position you’d like us to promote?
Does your board need a feminist shake up? We’re always happy to tweet your #MuseumTrustee vacancies. So if you want us to give our followers a feminist tap on the shoulder tweet us @mspaceinvaders. Or email email@example.com
- Space Invaders Manifesto Launch, featuring: Sharon Heal, Sara Wajid, Nirmal Puwar, Dr Orian Brooke, Melissa Strauss 20/07/2020
- WOW Angela Davis in conversation, Women of the World
- Women Making History: The Leaders of Today, Roundtable discussion chaired by Virginia Tandy, Co-Founder of the Women Leaders in Museums Network
- Women and Power, changing the stories we tell ourselves, Melissa Ben
- Why Do Ambitious Women Have Flat Heads? Dame Stephanie Shirley, 27/03/2015
- The Career Advice You Probably Didn’t Get, Susan Colantuono, 11/2013
- Why We Have Too Few Women Leaders, Sheryl Sandberg, 12/2010,
- The Power of Vulnerability, Brené Brown, 06/2010
- Your Body Language Shapes Who You Are, Amy Cuddy, 06/2012
- Taken on Trust: awareness and effectiveness of charity trustees in England and Wales, Charity Commission, 2017
- Equality in Progress report, Glasgow Women’s Library, 2018
- Equality, diversity and the creative arts, Arts Council England, 2018 – 2019
- Improving Women’s progression in the workplace, Global Institute for Women’s Leadership, 2019
- What is feminist leadership? Sharon Heal, Museum Space Invaders, 10/02/2020
- Unpack white feminism, Nicole Cardoza on anti racism daily 09/04/2021
- More UK funds run by people called Dave than women, City AM 08/03/2021
- More men called Dave or Steve lead FTSE 100 firms than women or ethnic minorities, Independent 08/03/2018
- Taking On the Boys’ Club at the Art Museum, Sonnet Stanfill, New York Times, 19/10/2016
- Building strong regional networks for women leaders in museums, galleries and heritage, Women Leaders in Museums Network (WLMN)
- Women, prepare for a radical change, Sara Wajid in the Museums Journal Issue 115/09 p.15, 01/09/2015
- Why Men Still Get More Promotions Than Women, Harvard Business Review, by Herminia Ibarra, Nancy M. Carte, Christine Silva, 09/2015
- Call for Museums and Galleries to Appoint more Women to Top Jobs, The Observer, by Vanessa Thorpe, 22/3/15
- Why Iceland is Hosting a Debate on Gender Equality… For Men, The Telegraph, by Lauren Davidson, 10/01/2015
- The Directors, The Washington Post, by Katherine Boyle and Lonnae O’Neal, 28/02/2014
- Few Executives Are Self-Aware, But Women Have the Edge, Harvard Business Review, by John Baldoni, 09/05/2013
- The Presence and Perception of Women, CIPD, by Jan Hills, 19/09/2013
- Targeting Women for Top Jobs, CIPD, by Eilidh Wiseman, 19/09/2013
How women rise, Sally Hegelson and Marshall Goldsmith
You may also be interested in
Hear Sara and Nirmal discuss her research into the challenges women leaders face, particularly women leaders of colour.
Listen to the first episode of our podcast to hear how Adele puts feminist leadership principles into action.
Sharon reflects on what makes a leadership style feminist.