We want to see women represented equally in collections, narratives and displays.
- Women’s history and perspectives included in all museums and historic sites
- Art and design by women equally represented in acquisitions and displays
- Wider gender equality issues highlighted through interpretation, exhibitions and events
Feminist exhibitions and good practice
Paisley Museum Re-Imagined and the Museum of London have been using tools to prompt critical thinking during the research and development of their new galleries and they have kindly shared them for Museum Space Invaders to use.
Download these templates and use them to audit your draft gallery content. You may not be able to fill in answers for all the boxes and you may want to add your own categories. But they should inspire you to explore new ways of interpreting your objects and prioritising a more relevant, representative and inclusive approach to your gallery content.
Glasgow Women’s Library
Explore projects and exhibitions that centre domestic violence survivors, activists, lesbian and migrant voices and wider women’s history. Visit Glasgow Women’s Library project page
- Space Invaders Manifesto Launch, featuring: Sharon Heal, Sara Wajid, Nirmal Puwar, Dr Orian Brooke, Melissa Strauss 20/07/2020
- WOW Angela Davis in conversation, Women of the World
- Disclosure – trans lives on screen, a netflix film about trans representation
- A short history of trans people’s fight for equality, Samy Nour Younes, Ted talk, 12/2018
- Women and Power, changing the stories we tell ourselves, Melissa Ben
- The Art of Complaining, The Guerrilla Girls | The Art Assignment | PBS Digital Studios
- Sonia Boyce – ‘Gathering a History of Black Women’ | TateShots July 2018
- The Hypatia Trust, books, documents and artefacts about women’s roles in history and contemporary life
- A Guide for Practicing Gender Equity in Exhibit Design, Exploratorium 2021
- Art Activist Barbie, When Playful Protests Indicate Gender Inequality in Art, Daily Art Magazine, 12/04/2021
- Unpack white feminism, Nicole Cardoza on anti racism daily 09/04/2021
- Feminist Museum Practice and the Misnomer of ‘Hidden’ Histories, For Arts Sake, 19/03/2021
- Taking On the Boys’ Club at the Art Museum, Sonnet Stanfill, New York Times, 19/10/2016
- Four vital lessons from 2018 about the history and art of women in our museums, Alice Parkin, 06/04/2019
You may also be interested in
Catch up with Art Activist Barbie on under representation of women artists, and the objectification of women in art.
Meet our 4 new steering committee members: Jean Campbell, Margaret Middleton, Lucy Perman and Ria Shah
Dr Nirmal Puwar, Sara Wajid and Zak Mensah talk about job sharing and modelling feminist leadership at Birmingham Museum Trust.